Wednesday, October 18

The BGHB Awards in Review

There's no way I could cover this any better than it has been at the Horn Book itself, on Roger Sutton's blog, or over at Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast.
If I drew one personal conclusion from the night it's that illustrators are probably better seen than heard. Most, not all, but a good deal of them. I'm also beginning to feel that few of them should be allowed to add words to their own illustrations; way too many titles have I seen where perfectly delightful illustrators were allowed to do picture books that landed like flat, dusty, day-old grape soda on the tongue. No names. You can probably name a few yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Elzey. I couldn't agree more. I'm thinking of a certain '80s pop star icon who seems to think she needs to rescue the world of children's lit from, oh, well-written picture books. But she sure gets paired with some excellent illustrators...