Wednesday, June 20

Grimmoire 53: Snow White

Overrated. Overexposed. Over.

Except to note...

Snow White is not awakened by a kiss. I have long known the original ending, where the prince has bought her glass coffin from the dwarfs because he must possess such beauty (uh, yuk!) and then while transporting her to his princely lair drops the casket wherein the piece of poison apple lodged in her throat pops out and she awakens. That's how you revive the girl, you do the Heimlich Maneuver!

Also, as a nice little coda, when the prince invites everyone to the wedding he invites the witch/stepmother who originally poisoned her, and when she arrives at the party they weld steel shoes onto her feet and force her to dance at their wedding until she drops dead.

Honestly, where can I find me a wedding where part of the evening's entertainment is to force someone to dance 'til they drop? At a shindig like that, who knows what other entertainments they'd have on tap!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot flippin' wait until I devour my annotated Grimms' stories books, and -- as I'm reading them -- I will stop by and read each one of your Grimmoire posts. Now, if someone can just create an extra hour in the day for me to read these volumes (the books, that is).

We've been so swamped with Summer Blog Blast Tour, and I'm behind on blog-reading, but I've managed to visit your site a few times. I also plan on reviewing the very weird Ginger Bear. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for visiting yesterday and sharing your thoughts on Oliver Jeffers' book and, uh, ghastly school reading programs. Cheers . . .

david elzey said...

Jules, which annotated Grimm are you about to devour?

Btw, totally impressed with the Summer Blog Blast Tour going on. The kidlit blogosphere is a very dense place, what with interviews and awards and all. Keep up the good (and I recognize very hard) work.

That goes for everyone else out there as well.