Friday, April 4

Poetry Friday: my sweet old etcetera


from America At War
poems selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins, illustrated by Stephen Alcorn
McElderry Books 2008

Yeah, I'm back in the Friday Poetry round-up, for the month at least. Can't let National Poetry Month drift without mentioning some sort of poetry. I'm taking the liberty this week of cross-posting two different poems from the same collection because, well, just because. Does poetry need a reason?

This collection, America At War, groups poems by the wars America has participated in one way or another. A while back I mentioned this collection and included a Carl Sandburg poem, one I'm pretty sure I had to memorize in seventh grade. This time around we have a little e.e. cummings, and despite the fact that it's about a letter from the front, I like the refrain and the subtle bawdiness at the end.

my sweet old etcetera
e.e. cummings

my sweet old etcetera
aunt lucy during the recent

war could and what
is more did tell you just
what everybody was fighting

for,
my sister

isabel created hundreds
(and
hundreds) of socks not to
mention shirts fleaproof earwarmers

etcetera wristers etcetera, my
mother hoped that

i would die etcetera
bravely of course my father used
to become hoarse talking about how it was
a privilege and if only he
could meanwhile my

self etcetera lay quietly
in the deep mud et

cetera
(dreaming,
et
cetera, of
Your smile
eyes knees and of your Etcetera)

Yes, quite. Dreaming of your Etcetera. People should sign love notes to one another that way. And why not?

Check out the Poetry Friday round-up this week over at Becky's Book Reviews.
My other post is lurking over at is lurking over at fomagrams.

5 comments:

Sara said...

People should. I love the layers of wit in these lines, too. Ah, e.e., you had a lot of...Etcetera.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

who else but
cummings could mean
(say)
so much by
quite a (deep
in the mud) jumble
of ecte
tera

jama said...

I'm big on cummings, so thanks for this post! Nothing like the sweet old etcetera.

Sarah Stevenson said...

Love e.e. cummings. Love this poem. And I'm intrigued by the idea of the poetry collection, too--I'll have to take a look. Does it include that famous Randall Jarrell poem?

david elzey said...

Actually, it doesn't include the Jarrell poem.